"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have". - Frederick Koenig

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Drink of the Moment: Rumchata Colada

No one ever said that drinking will make you skinny, so my cocktail better be worth it if it's going to have the potential to make me go up a size.  This especially holds true for the standard Pina Colada.  Once upon a summer, in a galaxy far far away - I'll call it my youth - I may have had a fair sprinkling of this fair frozen creamy pineapple-y coconut-y drink during the warmer months, but these days the harsh reality of the calorie has set in, and I usually only splurge on one of these fat floats once a year.  This year, that special moment happened to come early for me with the first really warm snap we had.   


You may remember that I LOATHE pre-fabbed mixers where you just add the alcohol, and will usually not even waste my efforts in that direction.  The Pina Colada is no exception -- well, unless maybe I'm sitting at the infinity pool bar in a wonderfully tropical location.  Anyway, I digress.  When Jay wanted whip up some Pina Coladas from scratch (which is really a lot easier than it may sound ... and yummier too), I was only luke-warm to the idea with it being so early in the season.  I mean, did I really want to blow my single Pina Pass this early this year?  And then, something magical happened that changed my perspective.  I realized I could try making it this way ... sans pineapple!



THE RUMCHATA COLADA

Ice Cubes
1/2 cup light rum (I used Bacardi)
1/2 cup Rumchata
1/2 cup coconut cream
1/4 cup coconut milk
Fresh pineapple & maraschino cherries for garnish

Fill blender with ice cubes.  Add rum, Rumchata, coconut cream, and coconut milk.  Blend until smooth.  Pour into your glass, and garnish with fruit.

YUMM-tastic I tell you.  It really was all that even without the pineapple (well, except for the garnish), and who doesn't love having a whole pitcher of happy sitting right in your fridge - even if it does mean you have to eat nothing but lettuce for a day or two.  If you don't have Rumchata in your local market, try picking up some horchata and adding a little more rum, or maybe finding a recipe for it ... like this one here.  Totally.  Worth.  It.  The best part about all of this though; I am technically still holding on to that annual 'Pina Pass' if I do find myself at some fabulous infinity pool bar in a tropical vacation spot feeling mighty thirsty.  Splurge on!     



If you like what you see, let me know!  Just click the 'Join This Site' button at the top right of the homepage to make sure you have a drink for every moment.

1 comment:

  1. this was absolutely amazing! i also added some cinnamon on top as a garnish, very good.

    ReplyDelete